Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry

So the first night of my little experiment I made Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry. And it was so good!!! I was so excited!! This is an excellent way to start off. A few things I did learn though, 1) it pays to go ahead and buy the shredded cabbage, while buying the head of cabbage is much more economical – it just makes the dish way more intense than it needs to be, 2) cabbage is actually a really good filler in stir-fry, 3) garnishing a stir-fry dish with peanuts or cashews really gives it an extra crunch that makes the dish – although next time I think I will actually add them to the vegetables in the pan rather than garnishing the bowls before serving. And finally this most exciting – I can make rice that is really really good!!!!!! Prior to this rice was something I had so much trouble with!! I am really bad at letting something just sit. I always want to “check on it” or stir it around or I let it cook too long and it burns to the pot…. (Prime example was Michael and I’s second date where we made dinner at his house. He did the chicken and broccoli and I was responsible for the rice. Long story short – I burnt the bottom out of one of is his pots – oops!!!) Anyways the key is to use double the amount of water compared to the amount of rice you have (i.e. 1 cup of dry rice = 2 cups of water), add a little salt, cover the pot, and do not touch it for 15 minutes. OMG I was so excited!!! Overall this way a great dish, filling, and DEF. a repeat! Even persnickety Michael enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment